The Jacksonville Historical Society's Mission:
Article II of the Society’s constitution defines its purpose. . . to foster and promote appreciation of the history of Jacksonville and northeast Florida by: Conducting, encouraging and promoting research of local history; Maintaining a program of information, assistance, coordination and guidance for educational institutions, libraries, the scholarly community, and any other person engaged in such research; Publishing manuscripts, articles, papers and/or books and promoting their sale or distribution; Promoting the collection, preservation and presentation of materials pertaining to the history, both present and past, of Jacksonville and Northeast Florida; and, encouraging the preservation and restoration of historic sites and properties.
Located in the Old St. Andrews, a towering Gothic Revival church was the largest pre-1901 house of worship in Jacksonville. With the coming of the NFL football team, the city government purchased much of the land around the newly constructed Alltel Stadium, including the Old St. Andrews site. The Jacksonville Historical Society was given the rights to the building if it could restore it. Thanks to the city's cooperation and a challenge grant from the Weaver Foundation, JHS was able to raise a million dollars to complete the restoration of the old church to use as its headquarters. Old St. Andrews stands proudly today as one of the finest specimens of nineteenth-century architecture in Duval County, and it is a popular spot for meetings, weddings and other civic events.