Making Downtown Jacksonville Safer and Friendlier
Ready to give directions, answer questions, provide assistance, or walk you to your destination, the Downtown Ambassadors are Jacksonville's Downtown cleanliness, safety and hospitality team. The Ambassadors are an extra set of eyes and ears on the street and
work closely with the Jacksonville Sheriff's Office and the city to
improve Downtown Jacksonville.
Ambassadors are easily identified in their bright orange polo shirts and pith helmets as they walk and bike throughout Downtown Jacksonville, day and night. The Downtown Ambassadors began operation in October 2001, and have made a tremendous impact on Downtown.
Downtown Ambassadors are available to assist you during the following hours:
- Monday - Wednesday: 7 a.m. - 7 p.m.
- Thursday - Saturday: 7 a.m. - midnight
- Sunday: 8 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
The Ambassadors' hours may vary occasionally due to special events.
| || |
10 WAYS THE DOWNTOWN AMBASSADORS CAN MAKE YOUR EXPERIENCE DOWNTOWN MORE PLEASANT
- Provide you with useful directions and maps.
Escort you to your destination.
Help you locate a business or service.
Call for medical assistance if you need it.
Provide information on parking Downtown.
Provide social services information to people in need.
Identify and report hazards.
Report and resolve cleanliness issues.
Share a smile and a watchful eye.
Contact the police if you need help.
Making Downtown Cleaner
- Remove litter.
- Report maintenance and property damage issues.
- Remove weeds from sidewalks and tree beds.
- Pressure wash and spot clean sidewalks.
- Clean and straighten public fixtures, including trash cans, public phones, newspaper racks and benches.
- Remove graffiti.
Making Downtown Safer
- Report and/or resolve instances of nuisance activity (panhandling, open container violations, etc.) in Downtown.
- Provide safety escorts to citizens visiting Downtown.
- Inform panhandlers about the city's panhandling ordinance, which states that panhandling is illegal in the Downtown Improvement District.
- Inform citizens that have been approached by panhandlers how to effectively handle the situation.
- Provide a safety presence.
- Maintain a routine reporting and resolution partnership with the Jacksonville Sheriff's Office.
- Assist homeless individuals on where to find shelter services.
- Eliminate Downtown urban campsites and bed-down areas by working with Downtown property owners, homeless centers, and homeless individuals.
- Provide a watchful eye for individuals attending Downtown events.
Making Downtown Friendlier
- Provide Downtown event information.
- Provide directional assistance.
- Provide escorts with an umbrella when people are caught the rain.
- Find and return lost items.